Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cartoon Character Dishes

I recently threw away one of my daughter's Mickey Mouse plastic plates because the coating protecting the Mickey Mouse image started bubbling up and broke open. I went to the baby and toddler aisle to find a replacement and went wide-eyed, again, at the prices, $3.50 for one plastic plate emblazoned with cartoon characters that I couldn't freeze, microwave or put in the dishwasher. I couldn't do it. After some searching I decided to buy 6 shallow Rubbermaid food containers for $4 and change. They're dishwasher safe, microwavable, freezable and have lids so that I can store leftovers. So, they're not cute. Mickey Mouse never helped my daughter eat more vegetables anyway.

This experience reinforced my #1 saving tip when buying for babies and toddlers: don't buy from the baby and toddler aisle unless you have to. You will pay a premium for something you can probably find cheaper in another section of the store. There's not much choice when it comes to diapers and formula. You can save big money by buying medicine, hygiene products and toddler dishes elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment